Bug You are too drunk to continue

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Dev note: if you encounter this issue, then just typing "modtrace liver" in the graphical CLI should be an effective workaround. If not, then it should outline what Mafia thinks contributes to your liver capacity (and either is missing something or has the wrong value for one of these sources -- please let us know where the mismatch is). We know this is an ongoing issue, but have not made much progress in tracking it down. -- heeheehee

As a hacky fix you can put this in a afteradventure script:

Code:
if (my_inebriety()>inebriety_limit()) { cli_execute("modtrace liver"); }

I have been getting an error of "You are too drunk to continue." in aftercore, even though I am not. This may be related to this bug about drunkness..
Mafia is reporting my inebriety at 17/14, when it should be 17/20 I think.

> modtrace liver

type source Liver Capacity
Skill Liver of Steel +5.00 = +5.00
Skill Drinking to Drink +1.00 = +6.00

I'll try to get more info on why this is happening, or what else might cause this to happen.

Last edited:

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
I can't work this out, I have seen the error reported by others. I don't understand how passive skills are showing in modtrace but not being counted by getInebrietyLimit.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Some other things I noticed:
This problem does not happen with older builds (r27596)
In my adventures today, I did not have the relay browser running. Loading the relay browser fixed the problem (I assume because it loaded and parsed the charpane)

Last edited:

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I logged out and logged back in again after adventuring and overdrinking. Mafia now reports inebriety_limit() = 14, still with +6 Liver Capacity.
Opening and refreshing the Relay browser (and the charpane) correct this to inebriety_limit() = 20

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Huh. This is fascinating:

> inebriety_limit

Returned: 9

> modtrace liver

Skill Hard Drinker +5.00 = +10.00
Skill Hollow Leg +1.00 = +11.00
Skill Drinking to Drink +1.00 = +12.00

> inebriety_limit

Returned: 21

That said, I can reproduce pretty reliably.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
modtrace calls recalculateAdjustments, but that happens at the end of the invocation...?

> inebriety_limit

Returned: 9

> numeric_modifier Liver Capacity

Returned: 0.0

> modtrace liver capacity

Skill Hard Drinker +5.00 = +10.00
Skill Hollow Leg +1.00 = +11.00
Skill Drinking to Drink +1.00 = +12.00

> numeric_modifier Liver Capacity

Returned: 12.0

Well, at least we're consistent. And it looks like that call to modtrace recomputes the modifiers.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
It's not just organ capacities, it turns out -- other skill modifiers are affected, too.

> numeric_modifier weapon damage

Returned: 30.0

> modtrace weapon damage

type source Weapon Damage Weapon Damage Percent
Equipment Power 15% weapon power +30.00 = +30.00
Skill Claws of the Walrus +7.00 = +37.00

Returned: 37.0

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, this isn't a new bug per se, but rather one that became much, much more visible with the organ tracking change. I checked out an earlier revision (r27601 contained the organ tracking change), and saw the same results for Weapon Damage:
> get_revision

Returned: 27596

Returned: 30.0

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
I posted some investigation in https://kolmafia.us/threads/missing-1-drunk-capacity-starting-with-27601.29257/ -- there's a race condition to do with the passive skill cache. I don't know whether this is the root cause, but it might be.

Okay, so somebody else reported this (from after freeing the king), so I did some investigation and found the following, copied here for ease of reference:

yeah, I can see a race
`Modifiers.availablePassiveSkillModifiersByVariable` is cleared by `resetModifiers` which is called by `liberateKing`, but changing the `kingLiberated` preference sets `availableSkillsChanged` to `true`, which repopulates it in `applyPassiveModifiers`

I think this also applies whenever a skill provided by a piece of equipment is added or removed.

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
A side issue is that, after modtrace recalculates your adjustments, the sidepane still shows the previous value -- it needs a KoLCharacter.updateStatus() call to update.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Yeah. I think this was broken by r26962.

(and by "think" I mean I checked the output of `numeric_modifier weapon damage` on login with both r26961 and r26962, and confirmed that r26962 introduced the regression I've been using as my test case.)

ckb

Minion
Staff member
As a hacky fix, I added this to my afterAdventureScript
Code:
if (my_inebriety()>inebriety_limit()) { visit_url("charpane.php"); }

That will reset Mafia's inebriety_limit

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
@Ryo_Sangnoir A simpler explanation: during LoginManager.initialize(), we call recalculateAdjustments() on login (in KoLCharacter.reset()) well before we populate our skills (via the CharSheetRequest in KoLmafia.refreshSession()).

Code:
diff --git a/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/KoLmafia.java b/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/KoLmafia.java
index 109340ccbd..562156635c 100644
--- a/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/KoLmafia.java
+++ b/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/KoLmafia.java
@@ -695,6 +695,8 @@ public abstract class KoLmafia {
     // It would be nice to not have to do this
     IslandManager.ensureUpdatedBigIsland();

+    KoLCharacter.recalculateAdjustments();
+
     KoLmafia.setIsRefreshing(false);
   }
seems to fix the issue for me.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I was playing around with trying to get it to work in tests, but there are some quirks with how we manage passives -- both campground details as well as familiar modifiers (e.g. Underwater Familiar) were blocking applyPassiveModifiers from correctly detecting that skills had been reset.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I looked at it some more, and that's not actually quite right. applyPassiveModifiers was always populating availablePassiveSkillModifiersByVariable, even if there were no skills loaded.

Anyways. #2011.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Oh, I understand the race you described now. We fire a listener for (skill) whenever we add a new skill, which in turn sets availableSkillsChanged.

I suppose we want a mechanism to wait until any pending listeners have finished executing.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
#2012 sidesteps that by just updating availableSkillsChanged in a synchronous fashion, and adding an explicit call to recalculateAdjustments() in CharSheetRequest. I could probably revert the change in #2011, since I'm pretty sure this is a more comprehensive fix, but, that commit doesn't really hurt anything (other than result in a small performance hit on session refresh).

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
Oh, I understand the race you described now. We fire a listener for (skill) whenever we add a new skill, which in turn sets availableSkillsChanged.
The other part of this is that (when it's a combat skill) sometimes we fire "addAvailableSkill" and sometimes "addAvailableCombatSkill". The former recalculates modifiers and the latter doesn't. I am curious as to whether we could just always use the latter.